Windows 10, iPhone SE, and Cats!

Windows 10 logo
image courtesy of neowin.net
As you may know if you have a PC, use a PC, know someone who uses a PC, or have been anywhere that modern human civilisation exists within the past year, Windows 10 is here. You may also know that the Window of opportunity (pun very much intended) to get your FREE upgrade is closing next month. So I did what most people do whenever an OS upgrade comes out - I waited.

Part of this was because I knew that any fresh program update has its fair share of bugs. I've always heard it's usually better to wait for the update to the update, or even the update to the update to the update. You know, for safe measure. But the biggest reason I waited so long to upgrade, nearly a full year, was because Windows 10 was reportedly not compatible with my aging graphics card...until now.

This week I received the pop-up notice, that same annoying notice everyone's been complaining about, that Windows 10 was now magically compatible...... and that the automatic upgrade was scheduled for three days out. Wait. Automatic?? I mean, sure I could cancel, but then I'd miss out on my free upgrade. Not cool, Microsoft, NOT COOL!

I backed up all my files, and prepared myself for a night of waiting for downloads and installs, and massive frustration. But surprisingly the whole process was very smoothe aside from a very long download time (though admittedly my connection was slow). And once fully installed, and all the privacy-invading features and add-on programs turned off, I wasted no time customizing all the features and turning everything I could purple. ^-^

I've heard that a lot of people have had trouble with the upgrade, but I've not had any trouble so far. Perhaps that's due in part because I waited so long, and perhaps because I disabled many of the extra add-ons and features. But so far, aside from a little navigation training, I'm liking the experience. Windows 10 is also said to come with a more robust anti-virus program than in previous versions, but I chose to get third-party anti-virus software  anyway. If you're looking for a recommendation, I went with Avast.

~~~~~~~oooOOO0OOOooo~~~~~~~

iPhone SE promoAnd on the polar opposite side of the tech world, I recently parted ways with my beloved Android platform, that I've been with for many years, and crossed over to the dark side. Yep, I bought an iPhone SE. Waaaat, they had cookies! Really really awesome cookies.

I thought the decision over for many months before I even looked at the specs for current iPhone offerings. I've been a diehard Android fan for a long time, but as a designer and artist (when I'm not overly stressed to the point of exhaustion, and art block sets in - more on that in another post), it's really frustrating to see all the awesome design/art apps and tools go straight to iPhone/iPad first. It usually takes a while before they're available on the Android market, if at all. And even then, they might be buggy or missing elements featured in the iPhone/iPad version. Some games never see an Android build either. Not to mention, most of the really great songs I like come out on iTunes first, and may not ever get released (officially) elsewhere. Very annoying.

The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus were the models I was most interested in, but they were simply out of my measly budget, even on a payment plan. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were slightly cheaper but had only 8MP cameras (and A8 chips), compared to the iPhone 6S, 6S Plus and iPhone SE, which all feature 12MP cameras. The front-facing camera is only 1.2MP, but you may notice I don't take many selfies anyway...

The iPhone SE screen is a bit smaller than my trusty ol' Droid Ultra, but the overall quality and pixel density is higher. The processor is faster too, using the same A9 chip featured in the 6S and 6S Plus. I also opted for the 64GB version, which is a HUGE improvement over my old 16GB Droid Ultra. Now I have more room for all those songs and apps I could never get until now! And I still managed to stay within my budget. Good deal!

I do already miss some features Android had that aren't present on the iPhone, such as Active Display, a Back button, and the ability to overlay running apps together, but overall I'm happy with the switch so far. Another perk is that finding cases and covers will be much easier now since the iPhone SE is the same size and body style as previous models. Most decals and cases are made for the standard iPhone size, as opposed to Android phones which come in a wide variety of styles and sizes. Speaking of decals and cases, I'm opening a new shop on Red Bubble. More on that soon!

~~~~~~~oooOOO0OOOooo~~~~~~~

CATS!!!

Kawaii Kitty logoIf you've known me for any length of time you'll know how much I love cats. You might also know about my new shop dedicated to all things kitty and kawaii. It's been difficult getting things off the ground this year with all my personal struggles. But when you're passionate about something, you continue to work hard to help it grow and blossom into something awesomely wonderful.

There are many great things in the works for my new shop, as well as other projects I've been working on. I recently added a special section to my newsletter for my Kawaii Kitty shop! Here I'll be sharing exclusive info and special sales coming up. But I'm also starting up this month a "Kawaii Kitty Game of the Month" feature!

Here I'll recommend a kitty-themed mobile game that I'll be playing that month. Everyone is encouraged to play along and share their experiences on social media, so there will be links to download each game. The following month's MEWS-letter (I couldn't help myself!) will have my thoughts on the game, complete with a 5-paw rating system. (Such kawaii-ness!!) If you're not already subscribed, you can do so here, or click the cute button on the sidebar. Can't wait to see you there!



Sakura Natsu ConIn addition to creating new kawaii products for my shop, coming up in August I'll be involved in the super awesome Sakura Natsu Convention here in the States. I'm so excited and honored to be a part of it! Check out their Tumblr and Instagram for all the details and cool stuff going on. They even have a super kawaii mascot!

The event is free to get in, but if you would like to donate monies to help make this the most awesome Japanese arts and anime convention ever, you can help support their work through their donations page too.

The founders of this festival have done an amazing job of organizing everything, and I'm really touched by their love for, and commitment to the Japanese arts and anime communities. I hope to see this one around for many decades to come. Definitely attend if you can!!



~~~~~~~oooOOO0OOOooo~~~~~~~

Have you upgraded your PC to Windows 10? What was your experience like? Are you an Android-to-iPhone convert too? Lemme here about it! You can comment below, or connect with me on Twitter. Would love to hear from you!


Stay kawaii!  =^-^=
Share: