It's Going to Be a Good Year

Happy New Year, everyone!!  And for any of you who, as I did, experienced a rather…shall we say, unimpressive year for 2013, please join me in bidding adieu to the previous 365 days encompassed in what we as a modern society collectively call a “craptastic” year.  Say it with me: “GOOD RIDANCE!!!”

2013 was not such a great year for me, for many reasons…though I wouldn’t necessarily say it was uneventful.  We kicked off the year with a busted septic tank.  Without the necessary funds to pay a professional to repair it, we decided to DIY it.  We spent a fair amount of money buying what we needed throughout the project, but FAR less than we would have had to pay someone else, and we were able to repair the septic tank perfectly well…after about six weeks…  Yeah, pretty “crappy.”  (Get it?!)  And that’s pretty much how the whole year went.  (By the way, a BIG thank you to my friends who provided the use of their laundry machines and showers while we were repairing the septic tank…that’s real friendship right there!) To finish off my fantastically crappy 2013, I received my “Christmas present” from Santa a bit ahead of schedule: a cold.  Thanks Santa, you shouldn’t have.  No really, you shouldn’t have.  Now, I have to ask: if I had really been on the naughty list, couldn’t you have just given me coal like everyone else?  I mean, honestly!!  I am better now, but still have that annoying, lingering cough that keeps me (and probably everyone else in the neighborhood) up at night.

 ~~~~~oooOO0OOooo~~~~~
Now that I’m done with my little gripe-fest, it wouldn’t be fair to go on without acknowledging some of the good memories of 2013.  So, here they are:
  • I became an aunt…again!  My brother and his wife had a cute little baby boy mid-December.  Very healthy, and very much his father’s son!
  • Over the summer I had the chance to promote and possibly host a special viewing event for an awesome new movie called Rock Jocks.  It didn’t reach its full sponsorship level, and so the movie was not shown, but it was still exciting to be involved.
  • I made a new friend…from Japan!!   We found each other through an online language exchange forum, as I am trying to learn Japanese and she’s learning English (though, her English skills are FAR more advanced than my Japanese skills!!).  She’s very kind and energetic and is a crafter like me, so we have a good bit in common.  We are now even friends on Facebook, so we get to share and comment on awesome things like this:

  • Finally, I also had the opportunity to meet a few inspiring artists, authors and crafters who were wonderful enough to let me share their creations with you.

~~~~~oooOO0OOooo~~~~~
Anyway, now it’s time to get down to the real topic of this post.  After much research I believe that this year, 2014, is set to be a great year, at least from my standpoint.  Allow me to lay out the evidence that proves my theory (yes, more bullet points):
  • If you’re into numerology at all, the numbers in the year 2014 add up to 7, which not only happens to be my favorite number, but is also my “life path” number…apparently…
    Radiant Orchid
  • Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2014 is “Radiant Orchid.”  In case you don't know, Pantone is THE authority for color matching and standardization internationally, and the go-to for all us designers and digital creatives.  You can learn more from this awesome articleThis one is a double-win.  Not only is this color in my favorite color family – Purple – but orchids are one of my favorite flowers!!
  • I’ve been introduced to a lot of cats lately, both in person and via online sharing.  Now, before you start questioning the validity of this bullet point entry, let me give you a little insight.  Cats, in many cultures including Japan, are considered very lucky.  In fact, in Japan there is something called 招き (maneki-neko) which for simplicity’s sake could be considered as the Eastern equivalent to what the “lucky rabbit’s foot” is in the West.  (Though, there's a bit more to it than that.)  See this awesome Wikipedia article here for more info.  I also happen to like cats…a lot…can you see where I’m going with this?

~~~~~oooOO0OOooo~~~~~
Within the first week of the year there have already been some really great happenings, and a few surprises of the good variety, too.  And, thanks to some major brainstorming sessions I’ve had lately, I’ve been able to break out of my creative slump and get back in business.  Don’t forget to check up on my other blog pages here for updates.  I have many plans for Geek Fit, and will be expanding my Anime Favs page soon.  Now of course, you can sign up for my brand-spanking-new newsletter (the sign-up link is in the sidebar...shameless plug, I know) and you’ll be the first to know of my latest sleep-deprivation-induced musings.  If things keep up like this I can only imagine how awesome the rest of 2014 will be!

So, how was your 2013, and what ideas do you have that will help make your 2014 even better?  I’d love to hear from you, so tell me all about it in the comments!
Share: